The Site is located off Canning Road, Newham and covers an area of 6.23 hectares. The Site is centred on Ordnance Grid reference TQ 389 830. A location plan is provided below.
The Riverine Centre lies on the western edge of the London Borough of Newham along the valley of the River Lea, midway between the River Thames and the London Olympic site at Stratford.
The existing site itself is defined by abrupt level changes on all sides; to the north-west the tidal Channelsea River and Channelsea Island provide a natural edge while to the north, south and east the raised Greenway (Northern Outfall Sewer constructed c.1860), raised London Underground tracks and sunken railway tracks impose man-made boundaries.
Canning Road enters the Site at the northern boundary and passes perpendicularly over the Greenway before sloping down towards the level of the mosque.
The southern boundary is defined by Crows Road and the London Underground District Line. Crows Road rises towards the eastern end of the site before passing over the London Underground Jubilee Line bounding the east of the Site. Crows Road is a public highway but is currently closed to traffic due to access limitation onto Manor Road (to the east) and historic fly-tipping activity.
A tree-planted soil embankment is located along the length of the eastern boundary.
Channelsea River bounds the west and northwest boundary of the Site. Running along most of the length of the river wall is the concrete paved Wharf Road used by former works vehicles.
The Site is devoid of widespread established vegetation other than perimeter scrub and trees around the south, east and north boundaries. Surfacing comprises largely compacted sub-base material representing the top layer of the capping.